If you’re anywhere near the south coast of Peru in November (say…Lima, which I know you are), you might want to check out the Semana Turística de Ica 2011 (Ica Tourism Week). The event kicks off on November 12 and continues through to November 20, with a schedule of sufficient diversity to attract a mixed crowd.
Saturday, Nov 12th
- Dancers have competed for the
opportunity to perform for you on the first day of the Marinera Dance Finals at Ica’s Coliseo Cerrado at noon.
- This is also the 1st day of the International Sandboarding Competition Open at the Balneario de Huacachina at 3pm.
- Also, drop by Hotel Real Ica in the evening at 9pm for the Perol Fiesta in honor of the Queens of Marinera at Hotel Real Ica at 9pm.
Sunday, Nov 13th
- Stop by the Regional Museum of Ica at 10am for a FREE visit.
- Enjoy the second and last day of the Marinera Dance Finals at 1pm.
- The second and last day of the International Sandboarding Competition at 3pm, again at the Balneario de Huacachina.
Thursday, Nov 17th
- Sand Buggy Excursion at Huacachina Oasis, be there at 10:00am
Friday, Nov 18th
- This is Parade Day! Find them along
Matias Manzanilla in front of the USI at 10am
- At noon the Food & Wine Festival Opens, as well as the Art Fair and the World’s Largest Pisco Bar. It all takes place on the Ica Fair Grounds.
- At 2pm a Touristic Walk through the city of Ica begins in the Plaza de Armas (Main Square)
- XI National Creative Pisco-Based Cocktail Competition at 5pm at Hotel las Dunas
Saturday, Nov 19th
- Start the day right with the Winery Walk in Southern Winery Zone at the Ica Fair Grounds at 7am.
- The ICA PURO SABOR Food Festival continues, along with the Art Fair and Giant Pisco Bar, all starting around 10-10:30am at the Ica Fair Grounds.
Monday, Nov 20th
- The ICA PURO SABOR Food Festival continues, along with the Giant Pisco Bar at the Ica Fair Grounds, all day long beginning at 10:30am.
- Along with these events, there’ll also be a Peruvian Paso Horse Show
Even as Tourist Week passes, the “Ica Pisco Jubilee Feast” will continue through the 25th in vineyards throughout the region, so make sure to check for special events during your stay.
Pirwa Travel can Get You There!
When not sampling regional dishes at the food festival or watching the unique talents of sandboarders and marinera dancers, you can take advantage of your time in Ica by contracting some of the following tours with Pirwa Travel:
Paracas National Reserve & Ballestas Islands
This is THE tour if you’re passing through Ica. Large sea lion and humboldt penguin colonies numbering in the hundreds- an overwhelming sight that you wouldn´t have guessed you could see in South America!
Visit industrial and artisan vineyards and wineries to learn about Peru’s most prized export- Pisco, a Peruvian grape-based brandy. You’ll not only get an intimate look at the production process, but your visits will be topped off with pisco tastings so that you sample the wares!
Usaca Dune Buggy & Sandboarding Tour
Indulge in the thrill of dune buggy offroading,
stopping at sites thousands of years old: Chauchi Religious Center and Estaqueria, which offers a vital clue to the process of creating the famous Nazca mummies. Not only will you gain an insight into the enigmatic Nazca Civilization, but there’ll be another stop as well, one that will allow you to practice the unique and adrenaline-filled sport of sandboarding!